19 Dec Just Buffalo is seeking a Communications Coordinator
Just Buffalo’s Communications Coordinator will work with program staff and contracted professionals to strategically and effectively plan and execute the organization’s audience-facing communications—web copy, e-newsletters, social media posts, press releases & media advisories, advertising, outreach letters, and communication campaigns—to meet organizational goals and reach Just Buffalo’s diverse audiences with a warm, consistent tone.
- Responsible to: Artistic/Associate Executive Director, working closely with Directors & all staff
- Status: Full-time (32 hours per week) with benefits
- Schedule: Regularly scheduled Monday thru Thursday, with some weekend hours as needed
Just Buffalo Literary Center’s mission is to create and strengthen communities through the literary arts. For more than 45 years, we have brought the world’s greatest writers to Buffalo, hosted poetry events and readings, and supported the development of young writers.
- Create clear compelling content for newsletters, web, social media, blogs, print ads & press releases for all major JBLC activities and events
- Work closely with key contractors (website architect, graphic designer, videographer & photographers) to obtain desired graphics, images, & videos for a variety of needs (website, social media, event slideshows)
- Adapt graphics when needed, using Canva or similar program
- Create social media strategy with outreach campaigns for key programs in consultation with staff
- Manage existing social media channels (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube) including posting content and responding to constituents
- Provide guidance and initiative in exploring additional social media channels (i.e. TikTok, etc.)
- Develop outreach strategies to reach targeted audiences and support desired participation levels
- Maintain and develop relationships with local and national literary partners, including bookstores and literary centers for cross-promotion and mutual support
Media & Advertising
- Issue press releases, media advisories, and press kits for Just Buffalo programs and events for local and national visibility
- Maintain and grow relationships with local & national media contacts
- Plan, execute, and evaluate advertising strategies with Directors, including print, radio, TV, and social media
Events & Fundraising
- Assist in event planning including communications, logistics, slideshows, day-of coordination, and post-event follow-ups
- Support Executive Director with donor gatherings & engagement
- Organize events to strengthen relationships with donors & potential supporters
- Support Year-End Fundraising Campaign with communication messaging plan
- Prepare Key Indicator (MKI) Reports and assist with tracking and measuring the success of audience engagement goals
- Assist Directors with preparing grant materials as needed
- Serve on Marketing Committee & present reports to Board of Directors
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to manage various timelines & projects effectively
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or Google Workspace
- Flexibility & positivity when working in a fast-paced environment
- Interest in literary arts and/or the LIT scene in Buffalo
- Experience with MailChimp, Canva, Adobe or similar
Salary & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $17 to $22/hour (based on experience). Benefits include:
- 13 paid holidays
- 3 weeks of paid vacation + 2 weeks when the office closed
- Sick time (accrued)
- Medical insurance options
- SIMPLE retirement plan
- Cell phone and/or laptop for business use (based on eligibility)
Equal Opportunity Employer
Just Buffalo Literary Center is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, practices inclusion, and works to advance equity. JBLC does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, disability, citizenship, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
We are committed to a workspace and programming environment which gives opportunity and celebrates the unique perspective and individual talents of all people. We continue to strive to be more intentional and proactive in our efforts to disrupt outdated power structures in the pursuit of a more just and equitable society.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, submit cover letter and CV/résumé by Monday, January 23, 2023 to email@example.com.
Interviews (one round, with a second interview for finalists if necessary) will take place the weeks of February 6 & February 13, 2023.
The goal start date for this position is March 1, 2023; however, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.