02 Nov Writer’s Critique Group
Led by: Perry Nicholas
Just Buffalo Writing Center
468 Washington Street @ Mohawk, 2nd Floor
Buffalo, NY 14203
Date: December 5, 2017
Time: 6:30–8:30 p.m.
The Writer’s Critique Group is a free benefit for Just Buffalo members. No previous experience required to attend. All genres are welcome—fiction, non-fiction, poetry, playwriting and more.
Workshop Format & Guidelines
- At the beginning of each group, authors sign in and check a box if they have a piece to read. The author should bring enough copies for each group member.
- The group draws names to determine the order in which people read. Each author reads his or her piece, or they may request that someone else read it or that the group read it silently.
- Group members take a few minutes to make notes and gather their thoughts and then go around the table, each member giving their critique of the piece. Members are encouraged to pass if they would rather not speak or have nothing to add.
- The author is encouraged to listen and absorb the feedback without response until each member has spoken and then brief comments or questions are welcome. Authors are encouraged to refrain from defending or explaining their work. Take the feedback and use it or not, whatever works best. The author reigns over his or her own work.
- Guidelines are available to assist with critiquing. We ask that writers be thoughtful and professional in giving feedback.
- The number of words read out loud is limited to 1000. If an author brings a longer piece, they can request that people take it home and work on it but the group will only discuss 1000 words or less.
- Taking home work to critique is strictly optional. If members want to bring home a piece, fine. If not, pass and that means you simply don’t do it and don’t bring in a critiqued copy to the next meeting. No explanation necessary.